Students completing the Minor in Medical Humanities are eligible to apply for University Distinction in Research and Creative Works. If awarded, Distinction will be noted on the student's transcript upon graduation and on commencement materials. All applications for Distinction will be judged by a committee of faculty affiliated with the Program in Medical Humanities. Work deemed to be “above and beyond” expectation will be considered for Distinction.
- Applications for Distinction must be submitted to the Director of Medical Humanities on or before the last day of classes in the spring semester by 5:00 p.m.
- To apply for Distinction, students must have a GPA in Medical Humanities of 3.8 and an overall GPA of 3.30.
- As part of the application for Distinction, students must submit a single-authored research or creative work, created for a Medical Humanities class, that represents the substantive output of a semester’s work (length will vary by discipline).
- In addition, any winning submission to the Annual Medical Humanities Best Essay contest completed by a student in the Minor will be automatically considered for Distinction if the student meets all other criteria.
- The student’s project does not have to be completed nor in its final format to apply for Distinction. All final research and creative work materials will be due on the last day of final examinations.
- Applications will not be complete without a 1-page letter opf support from a sponsoring faculty advisor to be uploaded directly by the faculty member using the same form below. Send your recommender the link to this page.
Please use the below form to apply or recommend a student for Distinction in Research and Creative Work in the Medical Humanities.
All complete applications require the independent uploading of:
- 1-page letter of support from a faculty member (pdf format).
- The student's work (pdf format), with a cover sheet showing:
- Student name
- Title of submission and 2-sentence description