The Humanities Research Center’s Public Humanities Initiative invites recent PHDs from the Rice University School of Humanities who will have received their degree between July 1, 2018 and June 30, 2020 to apply for two recently opened postdoctoral positions as Public Humanities Postdoctoral Fellows. Priority will be given to candidates whose work addresses “Race and Culture” or “Ethics and Society.” The fellows will divide their time between developing their own research, teaching one course (or equivalent workshops), and working to develop programming and curricular initiatives across the School of Humanities (e.g., African and African-American Studies, Ethics Institute, Medical Humanities, and/or Politics, Law, and Social Thought).
Work-related duties may include:
- Teaching/co-teaching at least one course (or conducting workshops) in consultation with departments and affiliated campus units
- Developing career diversity initiatives of particular value to recent Humanities PhDs
- Presenting content online (reviews, interviews, blogs, podcasts) drawn from research, teaching, and outreach
- Coordinating a yearlong series of speakers and events in related topic areas
- Presenting own research in a works-in-progress series with other fellows
Salary: The positions are each full-time, benefits eligible, one-year appointments. Fellows will receive an annual salary of $55,000.
Eligibility: All graduate students in the Rice University, School of Humanities who will have received their degree between July 1, 2018 and June 30, 2020 and will be in residence in Houston from July 1, 2020 to June 30, 2021. Applicants must have demonstrated research interest in the public humanities and have excellent communication, administration, and time-management skills.
- Cover letter indicating experience in public humanities
- Three page CV + names and contact emails of two faculty members and/or employers who would be willing to provide recommendation letters upon request
- 500-word research project proposal
In order to apply, please click on this link.
Contact: Adriana Chiaramonti (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Rice University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.