Graduate Student Application for Visiting Speakers, Workshops and Conferences
Deadlines: Monday, November 6, 2023 | Monday, February 5, 2024
The Humanities Research Center offers competitive funding for in-person or remote visiting speakers, workshops or conferences during Spring 2024 and Academic Year 2024–25 that pursue intra- or interdisciplinary inquiry and exchange.
- PhD students in the humanities are eligible to apply. Collaborations across departments are encouraged.
- If more than one graduate applicant is applying, please designate a single person as the primary contact person for administrative purposes.
- Graduate student applicants should include the names and contact information of faculty members who are advising your proposed event or workshop.
- Graduate students are encouraged to consider the professional development dimensions of the proposed activity. How might this activity advance the professionalization of its organizers?
- Symposium, lecture, workshop or speaker series title.
- Description of no more than 500 words.
- Budget that indicates:
- whether planning is for in-person or remote event;
- anticipated use of the requested funds;
- all funds sought or secured from other sources.
- Names and contact information of confirmed or potential participants/collaborators.
- Projected event dates.
- The application should also include an endorsement from a faculty member describing the value of the proposed event for the scholarly and professional advancement of the graduate student(s), and indicating their willingness to advise the project (brief statement). This endorsement should be emailed directly to Gabriela Garcia (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Paula Platt (email@example.com) by the application deadline.
- Brief information on the envisioned audience for your proposed event (faculty, grads, undergrads, the wider public).
- Brief information on staff support needed for the event or workshop. Please note that the HRC cannot offer staff support at the moment.
Please compile the application materials into a single pdf document and upload below.
Budgets should consider that HRC funds support numerous events each academic year and are in high demand. Sums approved for visiting lectures, workshops and conferences will depend on the scope and size of the event proposed.
For events in the Spring and Summer semesters, please apply by the previous Fall deadline. For events in the Fall, please apply by the previous Spring deadline.
For more information, please contact Gabriela Garcia at firstname.lastname@example.org.