Faculty Application for Visiting Speakers, Workshops and Conferences
Spring Deadline, February 13, 2023
The Humanities Research Center offers competitive funding for in-person or remote visiting speakers, workshops or conferences during Fall 2023 and Academic Year 2023-24. This funding is available for both intra- or interdisciplinary projects.
Workshops or labs that are internal to Rice are welcome to apply for modest budgets to support their research undertakings. Faculty who are considering the launch of a major conference at Rice are encouraged to begin with a reading group to lay the intellectual groundwork for a more expansive project.
Multi-disciplinary applications across schools are welcome but a humanities faculty member must serve as the lead applicant. Applicants from groups that conjoin schools should ascertain and pursue possibilities for cost-sharing with the partner school.
Faculty in the humanities are eligible to apply. Collaborations across departments within the Humanities are encouraged. Preference will be given to proposals that are likely to lead to further collaborations and/or that involve some graduate or undergraduate student participation.
- Symposium, lecture, workshops or speaker series title
- Description of no more than 1,000 words.
- Budget that indicates:
- whether planning is for in-person or remote event;
- anticipated use of the requested funds;
- all funds sought or secured from other sources
- Names and contact information of confirmed or potential participants/collaborators.
- Projected event dates
- Brief information on the envisioned audience for your proposed event (faculty, grads, undergrads, the wider public).
- Staff support needed for the event or workshop.
Budgets should consider that HRC funds support numerous events each academic year and are in high demand. Sums approved for visiting lectures, workshops and conferences will depend on the scope and size of the event proposed. While award amounts will depend on the applicant pool and the availability of funds, applicants for larger projects that envision budgets over $10K, should consider funding from other sources, such as Creative Ventures.
For more information contact Paula Platt, firstname.lastname@example.org.